8 Steps to Becoming a Fashion Designer
Step Eight: Make it work.
Face it, you’re more than just a fashion enthusiast, you’re destined for a life as a fashion designer.
But of the various paths, which should you choose?
Check out this list of possible fashion design paths:
• Artists and sketchers sketch new designs.
• Assistant designers work to support lead designers in a variety of design tasks.
• Cutters cut out patterns or fabrics by hand or computerized machines.
• Head designers/design directors make creative decisions and manage a support team.
• Pattern graders adjust patterns for different sizes of clothing.
• Pattern makers make patterns.
• Set and exhibit designers create sets for fashion, runway, or trade shows.
• Spec and fit technicians produce samples.
• Specialty designers design and sew items requiring special production techniques.
• Trend researchers gather data to help designers plan their collections.
As Miranda Priestly would say, “That’s all.”